Wednesday 6 July 2011

Two Weeks Away

As you may or may not have noticed I have been absent in the world of blogging for two weeks. I spent my couple of weeks wisely in the Capital city and my hometown London. I planned a visit for a week but ended up extending my stay as a week was just not long enough.

Nancy (sister)
I stayed with my dad, step-mum and sister a lot of the time as I hadn’t seen my sister in four months. She is four at the beginning of August and it is crazy how much she has changed in the time I haven’t seen her. I am very proud that she can now write her own name, she is good with her numbers and the alphabet. I know I am slightly biased but she is seriously intelligent for her age. I loved the rainy days when we watched films, especially as they were some of my childhood favourites. Some to mention are the Rescuers 1, Rescuers Down Under and the Little Princess. She is going to big school in September and I don’t worry about her in the slightest.

Me and Sammy on our 21st
One thing I must admit is I did consume far too much alcohol whilst at home. Starting with my best friend Sammy’s, whenever I paid her a visit it would involve some amounts of wine and vodka. We have been the same for nearly 8 years now and I can’t see it ever changing. We get drunk; have major heart to hearts and a right laugh. I went round there to watch the boxing on the last Saturday I was here. What a messy night! Even though it pains me to mention the boxing I am sad to report that David “Haymaker” Haye didn’t even turn up. The party was a far greater success having good company and the vodka flowing.

Me and my family at THAT
I had a fabulous night out the family on the first Friday back as well. I have always been into Garage music especially all the old classics. So I was extremely excited when we headed to THAT club for their Friday night Switch which included all the garage classics. I can honestly say that I have not been out in a long time with tunes that were so good. That is definitely one thing I miss about London. The tunes I have grew up with are rarely played both in Lincoln and now up north, however when the odd tune gets played I am pleasantly surprised. I didn’t stop laughing all night and it was great to catch up with cousins that I rarely see.

Rod Stewart

Me and Maria

I also had a spontaneous trip to Hyde Park whilst I was home. I was surprised with tickets for “Hard Rock Calling.” Maria (Step-Mum) was given some tickets and off we went to Hyde Park in 32 degrees. We managed to find the perfect spot in the shade and by the bar with waitresses. The only downfall was that they didn’t sell vodka diet coke, but I managed to survive by switching to Jack Daniels instead. Was a great atmosphere in the sun with everyone drinking and having a good time. My two favourite acts were Lighthouse Family and Rod Stewart. I was tipsy in a cowboy hat dancing to my favourite by the Lighthouse Family – Lifting. When the crowds gathered for Rod that is when the real party began. People of all ages were screaming and even though I am not a fanatic it almost made me feel like I should be. His two favourite performances of mine were definitely Maggie and We are Sailing.

Joe - Tower Bridge
Nancy down the river
I spent a couple of days down the river at Tower Bridge. Once I went with my sister and step-mum. We had dinner opposite the HMS Belfast and enjoyed the boats and the sunshine. My sister particularly enjoyed the fountain outside the mayor’s offices that she ran through for about an hour. The second time I went I took the boyfriend along there to have a look, and met family in the wetherspoons for my cousins 18th. It was nice to show someone the little sights and having a day drink with the family. We ended up drinking rum, heading back to my aunts and polishing up Jaeger and more vodka.

Family at the opera
My aunt also had her birthday whilst we were back. We sat in our local pub and listened to opera. The opera was an absolute shock to my system. My mum had got the wrong event and told the whole family it was soul music. When we got down there to see a tranny in a pink wig belting her heart out, we guessed my mum had got it wrong. Even though the music wasn’t to our tastes we had a great day.

The best thing about being at home is seeing people that I don’t get to see every day. From my family to my friends (my chosen family) I loved seeing everyone one of them. I do miss being in London when I have a great time but then I know I will look forward to it every time I visit.

A major thing to happen whilst I was at home was I received my degree results. I am very pleased to announce that I received a 2:1. I have an official Upper Second Class Honours Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism. Who do I think I am these days? I can now look forward to graduation and the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment